A Member of the Firm
EMILIE F. ATHANASOULIS, born New Bedford Massachusetts, October 29, 1944
- BAR: 1979, Massachusetts; 1980, U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts; 1983, U.S. Supreme Court; 1985, U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit.
- EDUCATION: Boston College (B.S., 1966), Suffolk University (J.D., cum laude, 1979). Outstanding Senior Student, 1979. Member, Suffolk Law Review, 1978-1979.
- PUBLICATIONS: Author: Is the Sherman Act Unconstitutionally Vague as a Criminal Statute? A Re-evaluation after Gypsum, XIII Suffolk University Law Review, Fall 1979
- MEMBER: Massachusetts (Member, Civil Litigation Council, 1986-1988), Federal (Treasurer 1986-1988; President, 1988-1989, Vice President, 1989--) and American (Associate Editor, The Brief, publication of Tort and Insurance Practice Section, 1986--) Bar Associations.
- PRACTICE AREAS: Commercial Litigation; Employment Litigation; Torts Litigation.
Successful results include:
- A recent $2.5 million jury verdict in Massachusetts Maternity Leave Act case, where plaintiff was a housekeeper for the President of a privately held corporation and paid by the corporation. Plaintiff was given an extended maternity leave but told at the end of the leave that she no longer worked for the co, as she did not return after eight weeks. The jury awarded $1.5 million in front pay, back pay and emotional distress damages and $1 million in punitive damages.